Sunday, January 22, 2012

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE UNBELIEVABLE KIND--THE SEVENTH FLOOR


CLOSE  ENCOUNTERS  OF  THE  UNBELIEVABLE  KIND
by A.V. Dhanushkodi

Hamlet: “There are more things in heaven an earth Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy ”---  HAMLET,  ACT I, Scene V


EPISODE  TWELVE  --  THE SEVENTH FLOOR

A Gothic interior in a mediaeval castle.   A huge window on the left and, directly opposite, a large fireplace with flames dancing to the tune of the wind as it howls at irregular intervals through the window.  A flight of steps goes up to a running balcony at the far end of which one could see two massive oak panelled doors.  The long and plaintive whining of a lone wolf is heard intermittently far away in the desolate wilderness.

In a deep leather upholstered sofa in front of the fireplace, a beautiful but pale looking young woman sits reclined, with a thick volume of much thumbed-through book, open and lying in her lap.  She is fast asleep.  The jittery flames play bizarre patterns on her face.  Again, the distant howling of the lone wolf is heard faintly. 

Suddenly, a blinding flash of lightning lights up the room in an ashen pallor, followed within seconds by a whiplash crack of thunder and the  room trembles.  The sleeping woman wakes up with a start, to see a horde of screeching bats, flapping their wings noisily, rush in through the large  window and rush out through the raging fireplace.  She screams in horror as she watches them, when….

….a huge bat gently rides the wind, flapping its enormous stygian black wings, and lands on the windowsill.  It is tall, lean, pale, and hypnotically handsome.  It is the horror of all horrors, the eternal blood-sucking bat, the very Count von Dracula himself, in “flesh and blood”.

The Count glides down to the floor, as light as the downy feather of a dove, and walks towards the beautiful woman, parting his thin bloody lips and baring his fangs in a mesmeric smile.  She looks at him and opens her mouth wide in wonderment and, as he comes within inches of her, faints.  He gathers her up in his arms and plunges his fangs deep into her long, white, and slender neck.

Suddenly the thundering hooves of horses approach the castle.  The Count drops the damsel down in a heap and looks at the fireplace.  The   huge mirror above it does not show his reflection.  In anger he stares at it and the huge mirror cracks to smithereens and collapses within itself.  He leaps into the fireplace and flies up with a swoosh, when the huge doors behind are thrown open and the master of the castle thunders in to find his wife in a heap, with blood trickling down her dainty neck from two fang marks. 

He looks at his wife in horror and anger.  Then he throws his head up and lets out a blood-curdling howl: “Ohhhhhh……. You blood-sucking fiendish horror!  I will roast you in hell-fire to eternity!”

“Ja, gut…gut…sehr gut!  Ist genug fuer heute, Ja?  Aber sehen Sie Herr Count von Dracula, Sie muessen aber den Gang zum Maedchen mit dem Takt der Musik synchronisieren”, spits Director Fischerrauer into one of the many microphones arrayed in front of him on the director’s table, pushing its button into action.

Count von Dracula throws up his hands in utter desperation, “Ich weiss, ich weiss,  Herr Fischerrauer, aber das ist ja so unmoeglich!”

Sitting behind Fischerrauer and watching the rehearsals for Dracula at one of the three theatres of the Staatstheater Complex in Berlin in October 1973, I was enjoying this daily ritual of desperate verbal duels between the Count and the Director.  The Director would insist that the Count must synchronize his every move to the recorded horror music and the Count---who could fly like a bat, crack a huge mirror with one look, jump into the fireplace and fly up through the chimney---would wail like a helpless baby that he could not do it!  Later, at the Canteen during the lunch break, he would swear that he would go for the jugular of Fischerrauer, after the opening night of the play!

The opening night was a resounding success.  The audience lapped it all up, in spite of  knowing by heart the whole story.  Dracula, for the Europeans, is an eternally loveable legend.  After much of hugging and back-patting in the green room, everyone was looking for Fischerrauer to congratulate him.  The Count, though, was looking for Fischerrauer for an entirely different reason.  He had not removed his costume and personal props, especially his fangs.  However, we were informed by the Stage Manager, that Herr Fischerrauer had left the theatre five minutes before the final curtain, to catch the last flight to Vienna, where he had another directorial assignment waiting for him, perhaps another stage version of Bram Stoker’s Count von Dracula!  We, however, suspected that he must have received telepathic transmission of Dracula’s intention, well in advance.
*
I was rehearsing for King Duncan in Macbeth with the Madras Players, when the Goethe Institute in Madras informed me that I had been selected for a six-month visit to the Federal Republic of Germany, to study contemporary German theatre in different cities.  I was thrilled beyond words.  It was not a dream-cum-true project, because I had not even dreamt of such an offer!  I learned later, that the scholarship was the direct outcome of my participation in the all-India theatre workshop in Simla the previous year.

When I applied for leave for six months at the American Consulate General, where I was working then, my Consul warned me not to be away for such a long time, as they might discover that if they could function  without me for six months, they really would not need me at all forever.  Acting on his wise advice, I took  three-month leave and boarded a Lufthansa flight from Madras to Frankfurt, on October 2, soon after the performances of Macbeth at the British Council.

*

From day one, I was absolutely at home in Berlin, my first city of stay, in stark contrast to my intense feeling of unease in Delhi, Bombay, Hyderbad, Bangalore, Mangalore, or Cochin, whenever I used to visit those cities on official assignments.  As modesty is not one of my virtues, I should say that many Germans were surprised that it was day one of my first visit to Germany in all my life.

My stay in Berlin for a month is memorable for other reasons as well.  Every evening I attended a play, met all the stars of the German theatre world at the Open Door Theatre Festival, interviewed Bruno Ganz, one of the star performers of the stage, crossed over to East Berlin and attended the performance of Berthold Brecht’s Galileo Galilei at the Bert Brecht’s Theatre, saw all that a tourist ought to see, and so on.  To top it all, was the Gemaelde Gallerie, where I spent hours feasting on the stunning beauty of the well-known and the not so well-known paintings of Ruebens and the other Renaissance masters. When I had to leave Berlin at the end of October, my heart was heavy.

*

Munich was next.  The International Theatre Institute had arranged my stay with an elderly couple in Munich, the Hausmanns.  They lived in an apartment in Stunzstrasse, in the outskirts of Munich.  When I moved into one of the bedrooms they had made ready for me, I found the room, the couple, and the house, all very warm and comfortable.  Also, to my great delight, I discovered on the very first day, that Herr Hausemann was an artist!  There was nothing more I needed to feel absolutely at home.

My daily routine began within a day or two after my arrival in Munich: daily visits to the Residenz Theater to attend rehearsals for Das Weite Land, under the direction of Kurt Meisel, a renowned actor and director.  I was fortunate to attend the rehearsals from the very beginning of reading and discussing the play, until almost it was ready for the stage.  I cancelled my scheduled stay in Hamburg for the month of December, as there was no significant theatre activity going on there and because I found the rehearsals for Das Weite Land extremely interesting.  Evenings, I saw a play without fail and returned home around 11.30 in the night.  I did sightseeing, whenever I found some time during daytime.

It was during one such sightseeing jaunts in the city, as I was walking on the pavement, I was blessed with one of mother nature’s loveliest bounties from Heaven, the first fall of snow!  It was such a transporting experience, when insubstantial airy snowflakes in translucent abstract patters gently floated down from the skies and settled all over me and everything around.  When I touched them, they melted instantly, even before my fingers could feel the tactile sensation, leaving just a drop of cool water.  I think it was around late November, when it started snowing.  I heard later, that it had never snowed so heavily in twenty years, pulling down the day temperature to a few degrees below zero and the night temperature to minus twenty.  Every night, returning home around 11.30 after watching a play, I would trudge my way from the last stop of the tram service to Stunzstrasse in three to four inch deep snow.  I could feel my feet and hands securely attached to my body, as I had covered them with woollen socks, leather shoes, and gloves, but I wasn’t too sure of the whereabouts of my long nose and big ears.

Those nocturnal walks, through the deserted streets of the suburb, often sent chills down my spine, as if the night temperature was not to be trusted to do that job.  My imagination took bizarre shapes and sounds, which kept me company through the fifteen-minute walk every night.  When I saw the moon on a clear blue night-sky, I heard the baying of wolves somewhere far away, but clear.  Some nights, I thought I even saw a few large bats flapping their wings noisily, dogging my steps now and then.  Although I knew they were mere hallucinations, only when I let myself  into the apartment building where I stayed, I felt safe.

*

One night, just before entering the apartment, I extracted a pack of Bensen & Hedges from the coin-operated vending machine and stepped into the foyer.  The foyer was a very small area, housing the lift and the flight of stairs going up.  I stood there for a few moments to light a cigarette and then pressed the button to open the lift door.  I got into the lift and waited for the doors to close, after pressing the button 6, the floor where I was staying with the Hausmanns.

The moment the doors began to close, I saw a tall figure enter the lift and stand next to me.  I could not see him very clearly, because my spectacles were covered with a thin layer of frost, coming into a warm interior from a cold exterior.  Furthermore, the swirling smoke from my cigarette   reduced visibility to near zero.  However, I did not care much to see him or wish him.  When the lift stopped at the sixth floor, I got out, but he did not.  I walked away from the lift, let myself in with my keys, and went to bed, without another thought about the tall stranger.

*

I visited the theatre without fail every day to attend the rehearsals.  It was a delight watching Kurt Meisel direct the actors.  He was always on his feet, on the stage, explaining every nuance of action, emotion, and portrayal of characters.  Himself being a brilliant actor (I watched his performance with great pleasure in Einen Jux Will Er Sich Machen ), often he even demonstrated how a line or an action should be rendered.  The play was based on the theme that every human being was a vast land (das Weite Land), which contained a myriad of characters contradicting and complementing each other at the same time.  A theme almost akin to what Hermann Hesse expounds in his divinely poetic style in Siddhartha, which was later made into a film with Sashi Kapoor and Simmi Garewal in the lead roles.  The film made a stunning visual impact on me, with Sven Nykvist handling the camera: every frame was like a painting from the   Renaissance movement in Europe, at the pinnacle of its glory.

*

Walking home from the last stop of the tram around 11.30 every night, my thoughts would wander in all directions, often coming back to the Count.  I would then chuckle to myself, wondering what a loveable character he was, recalling his growing desperation as the opening night approached.  In my mind, the fabled Count and the stage Count merged into one.  When such thoughts occurred, I fancied I did hear a lone wolf somewhere in the vicinity, at times near enough to send a wave of shivers within me.

As usual, I bought a pack of Bensen & Hedges from the vending machine, before entering the apartment building one night.  Again, as usual, I opened the pack in the foyer and lit a cigarette.  When I stretched my arm to press the button to open the door, I discovered to my surprise that the door was open and the tall foggy figure was already within the lift.  His head seemed to touch the ceiling of the lift cubicle, at least seven feet high.  I could not see him clearly this time also, as my glasses were covered with frost.  I could not wipe my glasses, as I was wearing thick leather gloves, despite which my hands were already numb.  For a moment I thought I should let the lift go, but the door did not close automatically; it seemed to wait for me to enter.  I stepped in, wondering why I hesitated at all, and the door closed automatically. 

As the lift slowly trundled up, my nostrils picked up a strange scent, a familiar scent, but I was unable to identify it.  When the lift reached the sixth floor it stopped and I got out.  I lingered for a second, to see if the stranger would step out, but he did not.  The door of the lift closed.  Well, he obviously lived on the seventh floor.  I let myself in with my key and went to bed.

*

On holidays and Sundays, I loved to spend the time with Herr Hausmann in his cosy little “studio”, smoking and chatting with him, as he drew his pictures with Indian ink on small watmann sheets.  We would be sipping a glass each of the legendary German beer.  He was proud that we were artists.  He would recount snippets from his life, and I would tell him about myself and my experiences in Germany.  He was proud that I had come all the way from India to study German theatre and, in the same breath, talk with genuine admiration and respect about Indian civilization, culture, and fine arts.  He would then punctuate his ramblings with a sigh and a wish, now and then, how he would love to visit India.  After our bout of tête-à-tête in his studio, invariably I was hosted to lunch by the Hausemanns.  Evenings, I would take long walks in the neighbourhood, if it was not snowing.

My day of departure was fast approaching.  I was to leave for London before Christmas, to spend the festive days with friends there, before leaving for India, for the New Year eve.

*

It was my last day at the theatre.  The play was scheduled to open on  Christmas eve, and they were having a run-through every day and fine-tuning after each run-through.  I took leave of all the actors and the director that evening.  After attending the performance of another play at another theatre, I took the tram to Stunzstrasse.

Getting down at the last stop and walking through the narrow winding streets, I took in everything eagerly and hungrily, for I was not sure if I would ever come again to that part of the world.  It had snowed rather mercifully that day, that my steps were light and less bothersome.  The moon was full, tinged with pale Naples Yellow and looked really like a ball of cottage cheese.  Everything was quiet, not a soul on the streets.

I bought two packs of Bensen & Hedges from the vending machine and walked towards my apartment building, opening one of the packs on the way.  In the foyer, I took my time to pull out a cigarette and light it.  Inhaling the warm smoke and letting it fill my lungs, I pressed the button to open the lift door.  As the door opened slowly, I got the rudest shock of my life.

Standing inside the lift, filling the full height of the cubicle, was the foggy figure I had “seen” before twice.  He could not have come in after me?  If he had come into the building before me and got into the lift, he had had enough time to start moving up?  Why didn’t he? 

As I was standing there undecided, he spoke, “Come in, it’s getting late for me”, in German of course.  His voice sounded like a computer generated sound, than a human voice.

I stepped into the lift and the door was closing slowly.  Realizing that that would be the last time with him in the lift, I was determined to take a good look at him.  The lift started to pull us up. 

Although I knew that without my glasses my vision was poor, I removed them, at least to do away with the misty veil, which was covering my vision.  When I removed them, I was in for another surprise:  my vision was still covered with mist, as if I still had my glasses on!

He spoke again, “I was waiting for you in the lift….to say auf Wiedersehen!
Wish you a pleasant stay in London!”  He extended his hand, but I did not.  I merely said, “Thank you” and fell silent.  How did he know? Herr Hausmann must have informed him.

The lift came to a stop on the sixth floor.  As the door opened slowly, I asked him, “Where do you live?”

“On the seventh,” he replied with a chuckle. 

“Of course!” I blurted, rather sheepishly. Then I added, “Auf Wiedersehen!” more out of politeness, and stepped out.

“Auf Wiedersehen!” he repeated, as the door was closing gently. 

I stood there and watched the door close fully.  Then I looked at the backlit panel above the door: the arrow was pointing up.

Coming into my room, I started packing my things, as I had to catch the flight to London early next morning.  My head was swarming with many myriad thoughts of my stay in Germany, and often I wondered why I had not made an effort to get to know the stranger in the lift. 

*

Early next morning, I took leave of the Hausmanns with a lump in my throat.  I promised them I would be their host, if ever they came to India. 

I took my big suitcase and walked out of the apartment.  Herr Hausmann accompanied me to the lift.  I put the suitcase down and pressed the lift button. 

As we waited for the lift to come up from the ground floor, I asked Herr Housmann, “Tell me Sir, who lives on the seventh floor?” pointing my finger up.

Herr Hausmann looked puzzled, “Sorry, I don’t understand you.  Did you say the seventh floor?”

I replied, “Yes.  The seventh floor”.

He looked even more puzzled.  After a second or two, he said, “Nobody.”

“What?” I asked.  It was now my turn to be puzzled, “Are you sure?”

Herr Hausmann looked up at me with a curious expression, “Herr Dhanushkodi, there is no seventh floor!”

*

The sun was coming up, as I walked out of the apartment building a few minutes later, carrying my suitcase.  I had a feeling of complete satisfaction that I had seen in Germany much more than I had hoped for.

A.V. Dhanushkodi
June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment