Saturday, January 21, 2012

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE UNBELIEVABLE KIND--AN EGG A DAY


CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE UNBELIEVABLE KIND
BY A.V. DHANUSHKODI

Hamlet: “There are more things in heaven and earth Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy”.  HAMLET, ACT  I , SCENE V


EPISODE NINE---AN EGG A DAY

Every night, after dinner, I would sit in my cane chair in my room and read a novel: Peter Cheyney, Earle Stanley Gardner or James Hadley Chase, before going to bed. The genre, paradoxically a relaxant.   Invariably and most incongruously at that time, in the cool breeze of the night, I would pick up the clear tinkling sound of the bells of a bullock cart or two, lazily moving towards the city of Thanjavur from Thirucirapally, on the bypass road. The tinkling of the bells was a perfect accompanying instrument for the full-throated languorous folk-songs the drivers of the bullock-carts would sing.  Between the bypass road and the highway, was the bungalow of the District Collector of Thanjavur, my father.  The year, 1958.

The Collector’s bungalow was situated in the midst of around ten acres of land, barren, except for wild trees and bushes, sparsely growing wherever they liked at will, spanning the entire area between the highway and the bypass road. In the close proximity of the bungalow, however, one had tried to impose some semblance of design in their growth, adding flower plants, mostly roses, bougainvilleas, and jasmines.  The bungalow per se was palatial with a typical layout of a Collector’s bungalow anywhere in India: in the centre of the bungalow was a wide flight of wooden steps, leading to the veranda of the first and the only floor above the ground floor. On either side of it on the ground floor was a large room, one of which my father had turned into an office room.  Next to that was a smaller room, occupied by the clerical staff. The large room on the other side  of the stair-case was  used as a reception room to seat VIP official-visitors, adjoining which was a smaller room, a kind of pantry containing refreshments for the VIP visitors.   

The layout of the first floor was a replica of the ground floor.  The large room above the VIP reception room was my mother’s bedroom  and the adjoining room above the pantry was my bedroom.  The large room on the other side of the stairs above the office room was my father’s bedroom and the adjoining room above the clerical-staff’s room was my study.

Living with my maternal grand-parents in Madras (as Chennai was known then) for college education,  I would go to stay with my parents during holidays.  Those days were most blissful, as nobody bothered me. My father would be weighed down with office work all his waking time and my mother would be equally busy, managing the household, taking care of my father’s needs and playing the graceful host to the VIP visitors; additionally, there was a horde of servants to manage.  I was free to do anything, a freedom I never misused.  I would read a lot, mostly tons and tons of crime novels, as I mentioned at the outset.  Also, I spent a lot of time sketching nature--roaming the sprawling area around the bungalow--and hens.  We had around fifty of them, I think. Most of them were Leghorns, snow-white in colour and most elegant in their snooty movements, pecking selectively at choice worms and victuals; and Rhode Island Reds, ruddy and fat, like Friar Tuck, ambling along awkwardly, pecking at anything and everything.  In between them were the most charming and beautiful “country chicken”, as we used to call them endearingly.  They were neither tall and snooty like the Leghorns, nor fat and grob and raucous like the Rhode Islands, but were ideal hen-templates in form, size, facial beauty and movements.  And, they had the most musical clucking sound any hen was capable of making.  

Another pastime of mine was watching hatching of eggs.  As you know,   Leghorns and the Rhode Islands will not hatch, but the country chicken will.   Therefore, while the Leghorns and the Rhode Islands were careless where they laid their eggs, the country chicken would hide theirs in unimaginable nooks and corners, under bushes, stones, and piled up cardboard cartons.  I would systematically hunt them out and bring them to the kitchen, where mother would place them in dated boxes, for chronological consumption, but not before selecting from among them equal number of well-shaped and big eggs of the three breeds of hens, for hatching.  She would then select the most trustworthy “hatcher”, invariably the same country chicken with burnt-sienna body-colour, and black dots over it. 

Nature’s instinct for procreation and preservation of species is most tenderly evident in the hatching of the chicks.  The hatcher sits  patiently on the eggs for twenty-one days, without consuming practically anything at all, at the end of which one hears faint pecking of chicks from within an egg or two.  The pecking spreads rapidly to other eggs and one has to mercilessly lift the “mother” hen to see the egg shells cracking with relentless pecking of the chicks within and hear the occasional chirping accompanying them.  Extreme patience will be rewarded with nature’s wonder of the egg-shells cracking open little by little, then the pink, rubbery, translucent beaks sticking out first, followed by the slimy head with closed eyes struggling out and finally the chicks tumbling out awkwardly, skinny gooey mess of  miniature dinosaurs.  A few more minutes of patient watching of the wonder will be amply rewarded with the sight of the messy things quickly transforming themselves into perfect walking and chirping eggs made of airy downs, trembling with the slightest whiff of breeze brushing them.  Added to the downy eggs will be two black pellet eyes, pink translucent beaks and legs, all soft, rubbery, and pliable to the touch.  It would be weeks before they harden.

I would often sit before the mother hen, now puffed out as big as a Rhode Island Red, with all the chicks tucked within its feathers, to keep them warm, as they grow day by day.  Often I would hear the chicks chirping within the puffed up hen and, now and then, would see a tiny pink beak or a head darting out and in, if I was alert and watchful enough.  Sometimes I would lift the hen to see the chicks, but there would be none on the floor; however, if I would shake the hen a little, the chicks would drop down one by one, to add up to a dozen or more.  Some would be white, some red, and some multicoloured. Landing on the floor, they would scramble around in confusion, searching for the missing mother, without having the intelligence to look up to see her in my hands.  Yet, they would have the inherited intelligence, if left on the top of a table, not to venture farther than the edge of it, after peering down the bottomless abyss, but return to the safety of the solid table.  Once, I did push one of them over the edge, and watched it as it weightlessly floated down,  flapping its “wings” and “yelling” in extreme agitation, landed on its rubbery legs, and ran around in circles for a while.  I would also derive immense pleasure, watching them troop behind the hen in a single file, pecking at microscopic grains and worms.  When they would wean themselves away from their mother in about a month, I would feel sad.

I was not particularly fond of eating eggs at the time.  I was, however, fond of handling the perfectly shaped and packaged nutrition, especially those of the Leghorns and the Rhode Islands.  They were big and heavy: white of the Leghorns’ and light venetian red of the Rhode Islands’.  The eggs of the country chicken were small and light, but tastier than the others.  If at all I would want to eat eggs, occasionally, I would prefer those of the country chicken.  But my mother would give me no freedom in the matter.  She was absolutely certain that if I wanted to eat eggs, I should  be happy with either the white lady’s  or the red ruffian’s eggs; never for me the “country” eggs.  I wouldn’t push the matter further, because I wasn’t too keen on eggs.

One morning, I was suddenly overcome by a craving to have eggs for breakfast. I tiptoed to the kitchen (one of the edicts of my father had prohibited entry into the kitchen) and peeped in.  Mother was making crisp dosais for father.  She had heard me tiptoe to the kitchen-door, “What is it?” she asked, without turning around.

“I want an egg for breakfast today,” I replied, preparing myself for the heated dispute that was sure to follow.

“O.K.,” she said, after a moment’s hesitation, the meaning of which I knew.  She too was preparing herself for the anticipated altercation, “Leghorn or Rhode Island?”

“Ma, you know what I want,” I pleaded.  Suddenly I heard the clucking and pecking sounds approach me from behind.  I turned and looked down to see the most charming bird of all I loved.  It was the polka-dotted burnt-sienna country chicken, scanning the floor for grains.

“I know what you want, but I am not giving it to you,” she replied in a firm tone. 

“Why not?  It’s so tasty.”

“That’s precisely why.  It is tasty because it contains more fat, and fat is not good for you.” 

“But, I am so lean and young.”

“You won’t be lean anymore, if you eat her eggs,” she said, pointing to my hen, pecking and clucking around my feet now.

“Ma, one egg is not going to make me fat,” I was reasonably insistent.

There was a long silence.  It was a happy sign that her heart was relenting.  I waited patiently.  Strangely, the pecking and clucking had also stopped. 

“Alright, get one from the box.  But only for today.”  Then a pause. 

“From tomorrow, if you want to eat country eggs, ask her,” she said pointing to my hen.  I knew she was joking.  I laughed and my mother laughed with me.  At that moment, I felt a soft gentle nudge at my ankle.  I looked down.  My bird was looking up at me.  I had goose pimples and a tingling along the spine.  The next moment, she moved away, clucking and pecking.  Mother could not have noticed the strange vibration that had passed between me and my hen.
                                
***

Next morning I got up early and went down to the kitchen for my cup of coffee.  Sipping it, I wandered around the house, watching the fifty odd hens clucking and pecking at worms, insects, and grains for the day.  I felt a sudden urge to sketch them.  I gulped down the coffee and ran up the steps to my room to fetch my sketchbook and pencil.  Taking them, I turned around to rush out, when something caught the corner of my eye.  I did a double-take to see a beautiful small egg on the seat of my cane chair.  It was the egg of a country-chicken.  I couldn’t believe my eyes. 

I put the sketchbook down on the cot and slowly walked to the chair, expecting the mirage to dissolve into thin air any moment.  It didn’t.  It was solidly sitting there in my place, waiting for me to pick it up.  When I did, it was so warm, I thought it was a boiled egg.

I ran down the steps  and along the corridor in the courtyard to the kitchen, where my mother was getting ready to make breakfast for all of us.  I rushed into the kitchen in great excitement shouting, “Amma, Amma!”

“Don’t bother me now, can’t you see I am busy?  Appa has to go to office early today.”

“Sorry Ma, but I was so thrilled, I couldn’t wait to show you this.”

“What?” she snapped in irritation.

I showed her the egg.

“I told you not to take that.  Put it back in the box,” she commanded.

“But Ma, I didn’t take it from the box.  She gave it to me,” I was breathing hard with excitement.

“What?  Who gave it to you?  What are you talking about?”  She was losing her patience. 

“My hen, the polka-dot!” 

“Enough of your fooling.  Put it back and bring one of the others”, she insisted.

“Truly Ma, she gave it to me,” I replied and described to her what had happened.  She didn’t believe a word of what I said. 

“Doesn’t matter.  Just for today you have it.  And don’t repeat this tomfoolery tomorrow,” with that last word, she went back to work. 

I was a little confused and distraught myself, as even I could not believe what had happened.  I placed the egg next to the stove and left the kitchen wondering about it.   Then a thought occurred that perhaps my mother was playing a practical joke on me.  The more I thought of it, the more I was convinced of it.  I wondered at her ingenuity in fulfilling my wish, without ostensibly yielding ground.  Truly, she must be very, very fond of me.

I got up late next morning.  The clock showed 7.  I hurriedly went into the adjoining bathroom and was vigorously brushing my teeth, when I heard a very familiar sound, accompanied by a faint unfamiliar sound.  The familiar sound was that of a hen clucking, a country-chicken; the unfamiliar sound was like a sharp stick scraping wood, in an uneven rhythm.  Then  the  unfamiliar sound  changed  into the walking of a hen on a wooden floor.  The sound was getting louder and louder.   

I stopped brushing my teeth, opened the bathroom door very quietly,  peeped through it into my room, and saw my country hen walking into my room, clucking gently.  Then she stopped in front of my cane chair and looked up.  After a moment’s hesitation, she heaved herself up, flapping her wings, and landed on the seat.  I could see her partly, as she settled down comfortably.  All was quiet now.  A few moments passed, as I watched her with unbelieving eyes.  She got up, walked to the edge of the seat, looked down, and jumped, flapping her wings and cackling, as she landed on the floor.  Then she walked out of my room, through my mother’s bedroom, to the flight of wooden steps.  I heard her hopping down the steps, one by one, her talons scraping the wood, clucking all the way down.  Soon her sounds dissolved in distance.

I tiptoed out of the bathroom, to the chair, and saw a beautiful egg on it.  When I touched it gently, it was warm.  I picked it up very carefully, feeling the warmth of the egg fully in my palm now.  I was thrilled beyond words. 

When I described to my mother what I had seen and heard, she was speechless.  I asked her if I could have that egg for breakfast and she said emphatically YES!  And, she added, “What Nature, your Supreme Mother, gives you, must be good for you.  I am powerless against HER WILL.”

I stayed with my parents for ten more days, until the end of my vacation.  Every day, until I left for Madras, my hen gave me an egg, precisely at 7 every morning, straight from her womb, with all the warmth of her affection for me.  And, every time I picked up the warm egg, I marvelled at the miracle.   Now I realize, after so many years, that it was no miracle.  When your heart reaches out to nature, nature responds, nature as manifested in everyone and everything around you. 

District Collector of Thanjavur was the last position my father held before retirement from government service.  When he retired and came to Madras, they did not bring the hens with them.  I asked my mother about them.  She said, they had to sell them.  To whom, I probed.  To a restaurant, she replied, avoiding my shocked eyes.

I still have a sketch I made of my hen, carefully preserved in my steel cupboard.


March 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment